He whose name heads this sketch is a successful and enterprising farmer, and also a clerk in the store of W. W. Ford, of
Chicot County. He is a son of J. R. and Susan (Humphrey) Llewellyn, natives of Virginia, both of whom were of Welsh
descent. Upon coming to America the Llewellyns located in Baltimore, the Humphreys settling in Charleston, Va.
John Llewellyn was a successful business man, was one of the earliest settlers of Vicksburg, where he did an immense
mercantile business. In the latter part of the thirties, during the panic in commercial circles, he failed, but previously had
purchased 600 acres of valuable land in Arkansas, and when he moved to the latter named State he brought with him
slaves and commenced to clear up and cultivate his estate. Just before the war he added to his possessions considerable,
engaging extensively in planting, and when the war broke out he owned 1,200 acres of fine land, but lost the greater part of
his property. He was a member of the levee board of this county, which, to people here, seems one of the most important
positions a man can hold. He died July 1, 1873, at the age of sixty-nine. The mother is still living and enjoys good health.
Of the nine children born to them, only the following are living at the present time, viz.: Eugene, Sadie C., Ellen C., Adele
(Mrs. W. H. Elders), Edw. C., Charley, Richard.
The subject of this sketch was born December 28, 1856, and was educated in Locust Dale, Madison County, Va., but at
the age of fourteen received a severe wound and was forced to return home, and when fifteen years old went to St. Louis
as office boy for his brother-in-law, Mr. Elder, and in 1880 moved to Chicot County, and accepted a position to clerk in a
store, an occupation which he has followed largely to the present time. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and
politically is a strong Democrat.