F. H. Pugh, the only physician and surgeon of Lake Village, Chicot County, Ark., was born in Tennessee, in 1824, being
the son of James and Sallie (Andrews) Pugh, both of the State of North Carolina. The Pugh family came to America in
1666, landing near Norfolk, Va., where they engaged in planting, and at once taking prestige as one of the most prominent
and aristocratic families in that State. Three brothers came over together: Francis, Daniel and Thomas. Francis was the
ancestor of our subject, his son being Thomas, and his son Francis (second), following whom came Col. Thomas Pugh. He
married Mary Scott, and their son, William Scott Pugh, was the father of F. H.'s grandfather, James Pugh.
James Pugh, the father of the subject of this sketch, reared his family in the place where the family had settled in North
Carolina, and where he was born. In 1802 he moved to Tennessee, settling in Williamson County, where he purchased and
cultivated property, and there he resided for forty-eight years, giving his attention to tilling the soil. He was in the War of
1812. The fruits of his marriage were twelve children--six boys and an equal number of girls--our subject being the only
member living at present. The father died in 1853, at the age of sixty-five; the mother in 1865, at the age of eighty-two.
They were both members of the Baptist Church.
F. H. Pugh, he whose name heads this sketch, was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at the age of
twenty-three attended the University of Medicine, at Louisville, and graduated at the Nashville University when twenty-five
years old, after which he located in the county where he first entered the world, practicing his profession for five years, at
the end of which time he moved to Moorehouse Parish, La.
He spent the years 1844 and 1845 traveling in Europe, visiting various places of interest, hospitals in London and Paris,
and returning home in 1846, and locating in the Lone Star State, where he remained two years, afterward going to
Louisiana. After the war Dr. Pugh went to Delphi, La., practicing there for some time, and finally, in 1882, settling in Chicot
County. Dr. Pugh is a gentleman of the "old school," one who favors all public improvements, is liberal in his views,
contributes generously to worthy causes, and is thoroughly appreciated by his large circle of acquaintances. He is a
member of the A. T. & H. M.