John T. Crenshaw is a native Tennesseean, born November 30, 1847 and is the son of Dr. William Crenshaw, of Scotch
parentage, born, reared and educated in the State of Tennessee. He was an eminent physician and surgeon, a graduate of the
Louisville Medical College, and also graduated from the literary department of a Nashville (Tenn.) college.
About the year 1850 he removed to Louisiana, and settled in Avoyelles Parish, the country at that time being almost a
wilderness, and here actively practiced his profession for about ten years, after which he retired from the profession and gave
his attention to agricultural pursuits. He became a very extensive planter, and at one time owned two large plantations, but
during the war, was almost ruined financially, and in 1868, came to Arkansas, and resumed the practice of medicine in Drew
County, continuing until his death, in 1878. He was a Democrat, and although not a member of any church, was a man of
He was married in Tennessee to Miss Henrietta E. Mickelberry, a native of Shelby County, and by her became the father of
two children: John T. and Hattie E. (wife of H. C. Petticord). Mrs. Crenshaw was a daughter of John Mickelberry, and died
January 5, 1852. After her death Dr. Crenshaw married a Mrs. Ross, by whom he had a family of two sons and seven
daughters: Sallie, Mary, Benjamin, Mattie, Marcia, Bradley and Clara (living), and Susan and James (deceased).
John T. Crenshaw received the principal part of his education in Louisiana, but in 1866 attended college in Lebanon, Tenn.
During the latter part of the war he served for about six months in the Second Louisiana Cavalry, and afterward, in 1867,
started out in life for himself, as a planter and plantation manager in Louisiana, but in 1869 removed to Arkansas, and settled
in Chicot County, where he became a salesman and depot agent. After about a year spent in this manner, he entered
mercantile life on his own account, continuing until 1884, since which time he has been a salesman and cotton buyer, and to
some extent engaged in farming, being the owner of two small farms in Chicot County. Besides this, he owns some good
business property in the town of Dermott, and as a business man, is intelligent and active, and enjoys the respect and
confidence of the citizens among whom he has so long lived.
While in Shelby County, Tenn., he was married, November 28, 1875, to Miss Susan E. Adams, a native of De Soto County,
Miss., though reared in the former county. She is a daughter of Collin and Francina (Brown) Adams, Tennesseeans, born
May 26, 1814, and January 5, 1815, respectively, and are now residents of Memphis, Tenn. Mrs. Crenshaw was educated in
this city. Her union with Mr. Crenshaw has resulted in the birth of two sons and one daughter: William T., Ruby F., and